Posts explaining why there hasn’t been an update are boring, so I’m not going to do that.
I have added support for LUA, so now I don’t have to go through my own bulky script system.
I have experimented with tile aesthetics, and I’ve run into some problems that you might be able to help me with.
Version 1: Simple
One image per tiletype. Fast and low memory cost.
Version 2: Fancy
47 images per tiletype. Slower and higher memory cost.
Version 3: Fancy tileset.
1 tileset. Relative low memory cost. Zooming causes ugly artefacts (probably due to rounding errors).
When I have inspected the artefacts more closely I can see that it’s not a gap between the tiles, but the tile is drawing parts of the tile next to it in the tileset. So the SourceRectangle must be wrong.
Does anyone know how I can fix the ugly artefacts the tileset is causing? I do not have these problems with the non-tileset versions. Or is the only option to turn off zoom completely?
((I’m using XNA))
I found a solution.
Calling spritebatch.Draw() with the SamplerState flag set to PointClamp got rid of most of the “artefacts”. Extending each tile in the .png file with 1px padding with the edge colour got rid of the rest.
It’s been a while since my last update, so I thought I should give you a video update. So what have I done in all this time? Nothing really. Well that’s not entirely true…
I have freshened up my C++ skills for a school project. I looked into OpenGL and glut, but I didn’t get it to work. I started on a Console application with ASCII graphics, but got bored. I found DirectX Tool Kit and made myself a “template project” with the same feel and structure as XNA, but it was too much work.
All this in C++.
But then I realized that I missed my C# XNA project, so I’ve returned now, full with new ideas and excitement.
What you see in the video is a short demonstration of what you can do right now. I decided to skip the texture and animation editors. The items are fully supported, but I have no visual representation of them yet.
The “engine” is made with C# XNA I made the game GUI myself Scripting is done through the Roslyn library The editor is made with C# Windows Forms with an XNA custom control
It has been some time since last update, I have no excuse. I haven’t really worked that much on this project lately.
I think I’ll skip the “once a week”-thing and just go with “whenever I make progress”.
I picked up programming again yesterday and have now implemented Line of Sound and Line of Smell.
Line of Sound spreads out from the source using a simple path finding algorithm. Every tile has a “Sound Block” value that can be changed to dampen sounds (i.e. trough walls). I also implemented a sound player that plays the sounds. The volume changes with the distance to the source.
Line of Smell spreads out from the source using a similar algorithm as Line of Sound, with the addition of being affected by the wind direction. Smell will also stay and slowly disappear over time.
(I also have Line of Sight from before)
Finally, I also implemented my first basic Zombie that can detect the player using the three scenes (Vision, Sound and Smell).
Next step will be to make the Zombie react to the player in an appropriate way (implementing some AI).